Harlem Children’s Zone Community Benefits Support facilitates access for Harlem residents to government resources and provides free legal services and financial counseling.
Through a range of social services programs, our culturally responsive team helps families fulfill concrete needs and overcome barriers impacting their financial health. We also support residents through the benefit screening, enrollment, and recertification processes.
Enrollment support is offered for the following city-wide services via ACCESS HRA (provider portal):
- SNAP and TANF (cash and non-cash benefits and referrals, food stamps)
- SSI/SSD: Supplemental Security Income
- Free or low-cost health insurance enrollment
- Community referrals
- Unemployment insurance
- Utility assistance
- Immigration support, including potential fee waivers
- Eviction prevention support (assistance and recertification support)
- SCRIE: Senior Citizen Rent Increase Exemption, a program that can freeze rents for senior citizens living in rent-stabilized housing in New York City
- One-shot deals coordination and referrals
- Section 8
- Free legal counseling for civil cases (housing eviction, immigration, employment, and custody issues)
You May Be Interested InCommunity Pride
Discover the ways we serve as connectors between support systems and individuals to invest in you and our community.