For more information about Harlem Children’s Zone Promise Academy, visit HCZ Promise Academy online, call 212-360-3230 or email email@example.com.
What is HCZ Promise Academy?
Harlem Children’s Zone (HCZ) Promise Academy are top-performing K-12 charter schools within HCZ’s cradle-to-career pathway of comprehensive services.
When young scholars join our community, we promise to do whatever it takes to get them to and through college. Everything we do — from quality instruction to exceptional extracurricular activities to healthy, home-cooked meals — is designed to keep that promise.
Since the opening of HCZ Promise Academy I in 2004 and HCZ Promise Academy II in 2005, we’ve made an enormous impact on our young people:
- Enrolled nearly 100% of our scholars in college
- Closed the racial achievement gap
- Helped our graduates build successful careers and become conscientious citizens
What grade levels does HCZ Promise Academy serve?
Promise Academy I and Promise Academy II serve grades K-12.
Where is HCZ Promise Academy located?
HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools constitute two distinct but interconnected schools in Central Harlem.
- Promise Academy I Elementary, Middle, and High Schools are located at 245 West 129th Street, between 7th and 8th Avenues.
- Promise Academy II Elementary School is located at 70 East 112th Street, between Madison and Park Avenues.
- Promise Academy II Middle and High Schools are located at 35 East 125th Street, between Madison and 5th Avenues.
Are there application, tuition, or other fees for HCZ Promise Academy?
No, there are no application fees and there is no cost to attend HCZ Promise Academy.
What are the benefits of attending HCZ Promise Academy?
Our benefits include:
- Quality instruction
- Exceptional extracurricular and after-school activities
- Nutritious meals
- Social-emotional learning
- College readiness
- Comprehensive wrap-around services
- School uniforms, laptops, and other school supplies
To discover more benefits of HCZ Promise Academy, check out Want to Enroll at Promise Academy? Here’s 7 Things You Need to Know.
How do I enroll my child in HCZ Promise Academy?
Submit an application online by visiting hczpromise.schoolmint.net (we recommend using a desktop or laptop computer) or apply in person at 1463 5th Avenue, Monday – Friday, 8:00 am – 4:00 pm,
How does enrollment at HCZ Promise Academy work?
Admission to HCZ Promise Academy Charter Schools is conducted either by a lottery (for 3-year-olds) or waiting list (for children 4 and older).
If your child was born in 2018 or earlier.
Select “2023-2024” from the “school year you would like to apply to” on the application page.
Once you apply, your child is placed on a waitlist. If your child is accepted, they will join HCZ Promise Academy in fall 2023. If they are not accepted, they will remain on the waitlist. To find out your child’s number on the waitlist, call 212-360-3230.
If your child was born in 2019
Select “2024-2025” from the “school year you would like to apply to” on the application page.
Once you apply, your child is placed on a waitlist. If your child is accepted, they will join HCZ Promise Academy in fall 2024. If they are not accepted, they will remain on the waitlist. To find out your child’s number on the waitlist, call 212-360-3230.
If your child was born in 2020
Children born in 2020 are encouraged to apply now so that they can start kindergarten at Promise Academy after they finish preschool.
Once you apply, your child has the opportunity to be entered into a lottery and assigned a random number. If your child’s number is called during the lottery (to be held summer 2023), they will be accepted into HCZ Promise Academy and will begin kindergarten at the school in fall 2025. If your child is not entered into the lottery, or their number is not chosen during the lottery, they will be placed on a waitlist.
To find out your child’s number on the waitlist, call 646-539-5941.
If my child is on the waitlist, do I need to reapply next year?
No, applications roll forward each year. Parents only need to update their application if their contact information changes or their child is not promoted to the next grade.
Are there admissions preferences for HCZ Promise Academy?
Yes, but preferences only apply to children who participate in the lottery. No preferences are made for children who apply to be on the waitlist.
Preferences are made in the following order:
- Siblings of scholars enrolled in Promise Academy
- Children who reside in the NYCHA’s Saint Nicholas Houses (Promise Academy I only)
- Children from low-income backgrounds who reside in NYC Community School District 5 (Promise Academy I) and District 4 (Promise Academy II)
- English Language Learners who reside in NYC Community School District 5 (Promise Academy I) and District 4 (Promise Academy II) in Central Harlem
- Children from low-income backgrounds who reside in Central Harlem (the boundaries of Central Harlem are 5th Avenue to the east, Manhattan/St. Nicholas Avenue to the west, 110th Street to the south and Harlem River Drive to the north).
- All other children who reside in NYC Community School District 5 (Promise Academy I) and District 4 (Promise Academy II).
Can I tour HCZ Promise Academy?
Due to the large number of applications we receive, we do not offer school tours to all prospective students. However, we will gladly give you a tour of our facility if your child is selected from the lottery or waitlist.