Housing Support

Local Shelters, Homeless Services, and Transitional Housing

Information on housing emergencies and support. Many organizations that normally require proof of residence or ID are making exceptions due to coronavirus and extending services to people who are homeless or in crisis without documentation. Please call before visiting in case of changes.

Northern Manhattan Improvement Corporation (NMIC)

Are you experiencing harassment from your landlord or do you need advice on a housing issue? Call NMIC’s temporary hotline at (929) 512-4565. The Hotline is open on Wednesdays from 9:00 AM to 12:00 PM.

NYS Office of Disability

Contacts for local resource assistance in meeting the costs of home energy.


U-Haul is offering 30 days of free self-storage to anyone with a college ID to help with students relocating.


Households that experience complete loss of income may qualify for NYCHA’s Zero Income Policy. NYCHA is temporarily suspending all shut offs of heat, electricity and water and all subsidy termination actions. Call (718) 707-7771.

Housing Court Adjournment

All appearances in regular housing court will be adjourned (postponed) for approximately 45 days. All parties will be notified of adjourned dates by postcard. NYCHA is halting residential evictions for as long as the City is under a state of emergency (at least April 19th).

Section 8 Housing Rent

Section 8 voucher holders facing rent hardships due to drops in income can contact NYC Housing Preservation and Development.

Rent Reduction

A household may qualify for a rent reduction based on rent hardship if all the following conditions are met: 1) There is at least a 5% reduction to gross income; 2) Current rent is more than 30% of the net household income; 3) Reduction in income has lasted at least two months.

Shelters for Families with Adults

The Adult Family Intake Center can assist families with children over 21.

Shelters for Single Adults

Single adults can apply for shelter at the 30th Street Intake Center.

Shelters for Families with Children

Families with children can apply for shelter at DHS’ Prevention Assistance and Temporary Housing (PATH) intake center.